Sunday, December 25, 2011

Sunday-3:15am: Christmas Day

We actually got a dusting of snow on Friday.
Nothing on the porch, though, for Karma.
There was still a little snow left Saturday morning because it had stayed pretty cold on Friday. It got up to 40 degrees yesterday and it pretty much all melted away, but we did have a bit of a white Christmas Eve. Enough to make me happy. :)
****
I forgot my camera when I went over to be Sammy and Annie's Christmas present. They left a few presents, themselves. Somebody pooped right outside of the cat box...and it wasn't even very dirty at all? They still had food but had opened up a cupboard door and ripped opened a bag of dry ribbon noodles--LOL! Other than that, I couldn't see that they had gotten into any other mischief. I spent a couple of hours with them...playing and even read them some of Dulcy's book. I'm about half way and plan to finish it today. :)
****
I came home, picked up the mail, and had two more handmade cards! One from Desi...
...and one from Jeannie.
I saw this card on her blog where she showed us some of the Christmas cards she'd been making and I remarked as to how this was the best holiday sentiment that I had seen in years (don't you just just love it!) and she sent me this very one!! ;)
Thanks, ladies!!
I get a few cards, as you may have guessed, and only planned to take pictures of the handmade ones. But this one from Ruby just tickled me so. Never seen anything like this one. I wonder where she finds these? :)
Anyways, Christmas Eve night was time to open presents. (Yes, we always opened our gifts then and, no, we didn't have Christmas stockings in the morning.) Anyways, my gift from Tori and Kelly all the way from England! There's some parchment paper in the zip lock bag and then two sets of dip pens!!
One with a little bottle of silver ink...
...and one with gold. Such cute little bottles!
Thank you both so much!!! :):)
And from their dog Kero...Karma got two packages of treats! (I'd already opened the first one.) Can't find these over here, but Tori sent one last year and Karma goes absolutely nuts for these! This year she got TWO!
AND....
I chuckled out loud when I saw this!
A treat ball!!
Thanks Kero!!! :):)
I roared when I saw the book Iggy sent!
Iggy had shown a couple pictures on his blog of this book...
...that he had gotten from ChicagoLady. I cracked up because of the fun & crazy illustrations and because it reminded me of my dad's battle with the squirrels over the bird feeder--LOL!
Iggy, I read this and giggled all the way through! What a hoot!! I wasn't sure if this book was a Pay It Forward gesture, but I already plan to send it off to somebody else...my Dad!!! LOL! But not before I let Dagan and Leah read it. So funny! Thanks so much!!
****
Then I sniggled as I watched Miss Karma...
...have to work hard...
...and follow that treat ball...
...all over the room...
...until she'd eaten enough to take a long rest. ;)
Because this treat ball has the swirly inside and only one hole Karma can't just lay in one spot and roll it back and forth--ROFLMAO! Great gift, Tori!! Karma will be forced to get a little exercise to earn a few treats now. ;)
****
Oh, and here's the Butterball recipe:
****
Butter Balls
Cream together:
1 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Gradually add:
2 1/4 cups flour
Form into 1 inch balls.
Roll in granulated white sugar.
Bake 325 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Makes about 4 dozen.
****
Well, I make them bigger, I guess, because I only get about 3 dozen. Don't overdo the flour because they'll get heavier. Take them out when the bottoms are barely browned. They crunch, but then melt in your mouth. A little Swedish delight.
****
Had the oddest call a couple days ago. A man called me to ask if I could write a humorous poem or speech for a friend's 70th birthday...about he and this friend...or did I know somebody who could do that for him? When I asked how he got my number he said he'd googled writers and poets in Fargo and I came up because I won that poetry contest. While flattered, I couldn't help him. I write memoir (my own--LOL!) and I fell away from the writing community up here when I left college almost a decade ago. Was kind of sweet, though...and very different to be called because I was considered a writer or an author.
****
I'll leave you this Christmas with a couple videos and wishes for a very happy holiday! :) :)
****

Video from KarmaTube

I am living the good life!
And this would be my quote for today...the whole song!
I truly believe it!

24 comments:

Queenie Jeannie said...

Merry Christmas!!!! I'm so tickled that my card reached you in time! They went out so late. And yes, I remembered that you liked it so much, which is why it was sent especially for you, lol!

Lovely and thoughtful presents...for a lovely and thoughtful person!!!

Desiree said...

It's so good to know you and Karma are enjoying your festive weekend. Unfortunately 80% of your pictures did not upload for me so I missed seeing all of Karma testing out her new treat ball :( I feel sure you could have written a humorous piece for your unexpected caller! I finished reading Dulcy's Story yesterday and loved it even though I cried a bucket of tears. Dulcy reminded me of Karma. Big hug xoxo

Rita said...

Jeannie--That was so sweet of you! I love that sentiment a lot and it brought a big smile to my face when I opened it. Thanks you so much! Have a great rest of Christmas day! :)

Desiree--I'm sorry the pictures didn't work for you. When you said that I went back to check and they were working for me so I don't know how to fix it for you. :( sorry.
What was odd was the man asked for me and then just started talking about what he needed--LOL! No explanation of who he was or how he had found me. Was the way he did it that made it kind of funny.
Well, I am ready to set my timer and read some more about Dulcy for an hour. I have my Puffs nearby. ;)

AliceKay said...

The only snow we have around here is the snow on tops of the mountains from last weeks storm, which is fine by me. That means the roads are clear for traveling. :)

Those are really nice cards. Jeannie is good that way...sending cards to people who comment and say they like them on her blog. :)

Tori and Kero sent you and Karma some wonderful gifts. Aren't internet friends the greatest thing? :)

Thanks for the recipe for the Butter Balls. I'll have to try them sometime. (my mouth is watering just thinking about tasting them)

Sometimes it's the simplest things in life that brings you the most happiness in life.

Merry Christmas, Rita! *hugs*

DJan said...

All of your pictures are working for me, Rita, and they are just wonderful! I am now wishing I sent out a few cards of my own, and maybe especially a cool one to you, but you will just have to make do with my sincere wishes for a great day for you and Karma. And thank you for the heartfelt comment on my blog. I am doing better today. :-)

TexWisGirl said...

i love the treat ball! go karma, go! :)

merry christmas to you, rita!

Beth said...

Merry Christmas sweet friend to you and Karma and those you love.

Thank you for the butter ball recipe. I will definitely try it.

Love,
Beth

Annesphamily said...

Merry Christmas. Coming back to try this recipe! Yummy! I love the cards you received. So cool! You are well loved as is your pretty pet! Have a beautiful day! Anne

Gwen said...

How wonderful to have snow on Christmas eve. Hope your day is full of fun! Happy Christmas.
xx

Desiree said...

I came back tonight and am delighted to report I've seen all the pics, now. Oh, Karma, it would have been a tragedy not to have seen yours! Big hug to you both from SA at 23h00 on Christmas night.

Serena Lewis said...

What lovely home-made cards! I like the Christmas themed one with the cat...quite different. I love the Christmas card you made and sent me!

A wonderful bunch of goodies! You will no doubt have fun with those dip pens. Karma is obviously loving her gifts. The squirrel book sounds funny with great illustrations.

Thanks for the butterball recipe.

What a nice surprise to be approached to write a poem even if you couldn't help him.

I didn't envy you having to clean up cat poop. :(

Have a great day!

Love and hugs,
Serena xo

Far Side of Fifty said...

Merry Christmas! Looks like Karma got a perfect gift..LOL..Great book from Iggy! :)

Anonymous said...

The video's are great :O) I love that song too - takes me back :O)

You got some nice presents and so did Karma. I love the book. I'll have to look that one up. I love books but children's books are the best. Sounds like a cute book you are reading (about the cat). I haven't read in a little while and it's time for me to start again. I actually have two that I started in my room and one at my feet that I want to start...once my head stops hurting. they are like potato chips to me... I can never stop at just one!

We had a nice Christmas! My nephew and his wife came to visit. I just love them both. We had Christmas eve dinner and played a game of Texas holdem poker and had a bunch of fun. My new niece is great. I love her to death and it was so nice to see my nephew again. After we got home it was after midnight and the boys wanted to open presents so we let them. They liked their gifts and we had a lot of fun staying up late as a family LOL Christmas day I slept in and was surprised when I came out to see dad and the boys out in the living room playing games. They played video games and card games. I just took it easy today and slept off and on.... it's getting colder and I'm hurting. Just hearing my family laughing together makes my day though :O)

Deanna said...

Love all of the cards! That book is going to get around, isn't it. It looks like such a fun one.

You are going to have a lot of fun with those pens. Can one ever get enough pens? Kero certainly treat Karma nice. Are they in a relationship? ;)

Rita said...

AliceKay--Yes, at least the roads were good for traveling. I am amazed by the wonderful blogger friends I have met who have enriched my life in so many ways. ;)

Djan--Thanks so much and I am glad you are feeling a little better about life being shocking crazy sometimes. And thrilled with your sincere wishes and back atcha! :):)

Theresa--Karma hasn't been able to figure a lazy way to get the treats out of this one...yet! LOL! Hope you had a great Christmas! :)

Beth--Merry Christmas to you, too. I hope you like the butterballs if you try them. :)

Anne--Oh, you're so sweet! Thanks so much! :)

Gwen--It turned out to be eventful, but still fun! LOL! Best to you! :)

Desiree--OMGoodness! You came back so you could see Karma's treat ball pictures! You are just too much! And especially because you are on blogging break! Made my day, lady! :)

Serena--Thanks, lady! May take me a while to try out the pens. Finger injuries really screw up your plans. ;)
It was so funny. I was chuckling--maybe that call qualifies me for 16 minutes of fame, eh? ROFL!!
Cleaning up cat poop can't be any worse than picking up warm dog poop with a baggie--LOL! I've never had to do that yet. What we do for our pets, eh? ;)
xoxo

Connie--Karma does need the exercise. Maybe I need to try to eat while walking around the apartment--LOL!
Iggy is a treasure!! :)

Donna--It is such a cute and silly book! Now I'm thinking I might wait till me dad comes up so he can see it here and then mail it to my friend, Ruby. Her husband is another one doing battle with squirrels!! She'd crack up like I did, I know! Regardless, it will be passed on. (And my dad wouldn't continue the pay it forward thing and Ruby would.)
I have a couple books going right now and three that have been on hold when I joined all that stuff in November. I plan to get back into the reading and journaling in the mornings routine again in 2012.
Sounds like you had a good Christmas. Hope you feel lots better in the coming year. :)

Deanna--Oh yes!! The book will definitely be sent on its way eventually. It's such fun to have others enjoy the books, too. Have you ever heard of bookcrossing.com? I'm in that, too. I seldom have the money to buy books anymore but if I do--I know I can pass the book on to somebody else or release it to the wild to be found. Fun to do!
Kero and Karma--LOL! A long distance relationship...would definitely be a mixed marriage--ROFL!! ;)

Intense Guy said...

:)

I really like that Treat ball!! If I had to work for a snack like Karma does - I'd be all the better for it!!

I'm glad you got such a kick out of the book! :) I too, find the artwork ... entertaining and riveting!

*Hugs*

Rita said...

Iggy--I love the book!! I decided that I am going to pay it forward to my dear friend, Ruby, in Wisconsin because she has a hubby who fights the squirrels, she's dying to see it, and Ruby would pass the book on (where my dad wouldn't and might not get the humor as he is a squirrel fighter, too--LOL!). You knew I would giggle the whole way through! Thanks so very much, my friend!
Karma is willing to deal with the more exhausting treat ball just to get those special treats from Tori--LOL! ;)

Toriz said...

*Smiles*

I'm glad you and Karma like your presents so much!

That's the treat ball I was looking for last year for Gwydion; the treats don't come out so easily, so it gives them exercise but they don't care because they get treats out of it. Hopefully you can keep Karma feeling that way and enjoying the ball! :)

Sounds like you and Karma had a great Christmas!

Toriz said...

LOL @ Deanna's comment!

If Kero and Karma ever get serious one of us is going to have a long way to move! ;)

LOL!

Rita said...

Tori--Karma goes crazy over those treats! I don't know why they are so much different to her than anything we can buy here. Silly girl! But she loves them, thanks! I stuck the second container away for a while, but don't tell her. ;)
The treat ball is wonderful! She really has to work to get them out of there--and because she just loves those treats, she will work at it. :)
LOL! I don't think the relationship would work out for Karma and Kero--ROFL!! They're too different and Karma doesn't like anybody else but me. So I don't think there's any danger of either of us having to move--LOL! ;)

Toriz said...

I wont tell her about the hidden tub of treats; promise! ;)

LOL true. Kero's not great with long lasting relationships withh others anyway... He loves to charm the ladies, but at the end of the day the only female he wants to go home with is me. LOL!

Rita said...

Tori--Our critters love us best, that's true!! :)

laurak/ForestWalkArt :) said...

hi RITA!!!!!!!
me...trying to get at least half way caught up with my reading!! haha!!

our temp down here in FLORIDA was about the same as YOURS!!! it was FREEZING down here...but...alas...no snow!! :(

looks like EVERYONE had a wonderful christmas...GO KARMA!! get that treat!!

have a great 2012 rita & karma!! :)

Rita said...

Laura--Very, very best to you, too, sweet lady!! And a big hello to Milo, too!! I hope this is starting our to be a great year for you all. :):)