Friday, June 26, 2015

Friday-5:15am

Too early.  Been up since 4am and couldn't get back to sleep...again.  So, I figured I may as well get out of bed and fill you in on what's happening in my corner of the world.
I know you can't see them, but there are two more matching apartment buildings behind these two.  I wonder what they will be building across the road in the field behind our garages?  They've been hauling in more and more dirt to fill in the natural marshland.  Big plans afoot.  But I shall be long gone.  ;) 
Pretty skies, but too hot for me. 
We've been in the 80s.  I know.  That's decently cool for some of you, but for me up here...I am melting!  As you may recall, I have been complaining for years about this old air conditioner.  They just haul it out, clean it, bring it back, and it works about the same.  I can run it on high 24/7 and it runs about 75-76 degrees in here and is still sticky as can be.  So, basically--pretty useless--but they never give me a new one.  Dagan thinks I should complain anyways, but I am not sure it is worth it.  And right now--the maintenance man couldn't get his cart in and out of my place to haul it out of here, anyways, with all the stuff piled here and there and everywhere.  It might drive me crazy during the coming month enough to call.  We'll see.
****
I had my appointment at Federal Housing with Ashley on Wednesday.  Didn't think I was going to get the car out of the garage.  (It goes up and down partway--we've had this same issue a few times now.)  I finally got it to go up far enough to get the little car out...and then it wouldn't close.  So, I had to run over to the office to tell them...and as long as I was there I picked up the departure checklist and found out for sure that I am also responsible for having the carpet cleaned.
****
Anyways, off I go--84 degrees--in that little car with no AC.  Talk about melting!  Got stuck waiting in the sun for a very long train in Moorhead.  I haven't driven there in 2-3 years because I have been doing my annual review by mail and phone.  A police car was taking up two of the five spaces in front of the building so there was no place to park there.  I go around on the side street and they have changed it from angled parking to parallel!  I don't do parallel parking.  So I ended up driving around and had to park about two blocks away.  Of course, by the time I am hobbling my sweaty body up the block to the door the policeman is leaving...just backed right out into the waiting traffic enough that this car he almost bumped into was forced to let him in (don't you love the privileged people)...and I was ten minutes late.  I am usually early to everything.  They wondered what happened to me--LOL!
****
    Anyways, I got all the paperwork started for redoing everything for the new place...and then I'll finally find out what my share of the rent will be.  One more thing to check off the endless list.  ;)
****
This was a picture I took this morning at pre-dawn.  The sun is up now and the birds are filled with joy at the new day.  :)  
My mom has been transferred to a different rehab place.  She said they were working her harder there than at the hospital and I was thrilled to hear it...even if she didn't sound happy about it--LOL!  She's just feeling so weak and tired.  But I told her that's the only way she'll get her strength back--to move and eat! 
****
She's excited that Blaine & Kathy and Renee are coming down on the first.  They'll be there a good week.  We'll know more then.
****
Dagan stopped by yesterday over his lunch to take away all the books to donate to the library.  I told him that I am not going to be able to make it over to Ian's birthday party on Saturday.  (Good thing Ian's too little to really notice this year--and I won't be in the middle of moving next year.)  I am not in good shape from all the purging and packing in the first place and we are going to tear into the garage on Sunday.  If I went--well, I am usually in need of a day of rest the day after and would push myself over the brink working all day on Sunday.  This is my chance to get the garage sorted, which I can't do on my own.  We need to get it cleaned and purged so that I can haul boxes out there as I pack them.  I already have a few boxes and bags that could go out.  Need to see if there is any evidence of mice yet out there when we tear it apart, though.  I haven't seen anything, but they hide, of course.  ;)  That will make the difference as to what goes out there and what doesn't.
****
Another thing on my list--I decided I really do need to buy some plastic lidded tubs for my garage storage after I move.  Get a few tubs here and there and slowly switch them all over.
****
I set my Grandma Johnson's (dad's mother) doll on the floor amidst the cleaning and sorting in here.  Karma came around the corner and froze with all her hair on alert!  I think at first she thought it would move like scary Ian--LOL!  She crept up slowly--gingerly sniffed it all over--and decided she really liked it.
You know how Karma likes hard pillows--LOL! 
Notice the untied bonnet ribbon? 
Yup, she's been using the plastic doll's stiff little legs as pillows and her hard little hands for automatic head scratching.   
Sound asleep with her new friend. 
Boxes and bags are everywhere. 
 There are slowly more and more blank spaces, though, too.  On top of dressers...
...in closets. 
Found out I have a white chalk pen that works on the big black trash bags. 
Seems like there's always something drying on the counter... 
...or waiting to be packed... 
...or to be scrubbed down.  This little shelf/rack will go in the "studio" closet along with the shoe rack for more storage space. 
Oh, remember I went to Target with Leah and bought cat food?  I thought Karma might not mind some beef and chicken puree along with her usual fish (she prefers salmon and prefers puree).  This is her reaction to beef in the front bowl there.  She took one whiff, backed away, and is patiently waiting for this faux pas to be remedied.  (I swear she really has eaten beef in the past and chicken, too--just different brands!)  *sigh*
Well, Karma has been sitting here on the floor beside my lap table staring at me ever since I sat down to type.  She can't believe I have done such a dreadful thing to her...ruined her morning tablespoon of canned treat...and she has been whining about it and trying to talk me into going and getting her some salmon.  I keep telling her--No, go eat what you have.  She finally threw herself down on the floor and is now pouting with her ears back.  I just know she's thinking--Stupid humans!  Well, I am thinking--Stupid cats!  I can't read her fickle mind!  Good grief!  Wonder if she'll do the same thing when I finally open a chicken puree?  She's will be going without her special morning and evening treat for a while, I guess.  One of those small cans last several days.  Karma is as stubborn as I am.  ;)
****
Well, she decided to go out and catch some morning rays on the porch.  Life with Miss Karma.  
****
I am so sore right now that I can't imagine getting out of this chair, let alone doing any purging...but after I have thawed out a couple more hours I usually feel a bit better.  (Mornings are usually not good in the first place.)  I gaze about this messy room and it makes me smile to see I have gotten so much done already--for me now, anyways.  Years ago I would have had the whole apartment cleaned, purged, and packed by now.  But life changes.  Your body changes.  Moving doesn't change much, though.  It's a huge undertaking and I wonder how I used to do this every time I turned around for so many years?!  (I lost count at 30 moves since I left home after I graduated.)  I've been spoiled since I moved up here to Fargo-Moorhead in 1999.  I lived in Moorhead for six years (twice as long as I had ever lived anywhere) and then over ten whole years here in Fargo.  I have definitely, shall we say, gotten out of the habit of moving.  You forget what a pain in the pa-toot it is.  ;) 
****
But it is always a delight after it is all over with...especially when you are moving into a place you know you will like better than where you were.  I enjoy the settling in and organizing.  I bet you could guess that--LOL!  Well, I'll have to get something done today because I should take it really easy on Saturday so that I don't do myself in on Sunday when we organize the garage.  Everything is coming along really well, though.  Looks like another hot sunny day.  I'll have to close it up pretty soon and turn on the struggling AC.  Just wanted to pop in and say hi and hope you have a great weekend!  :):)
****
"I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be." 
Joseph Campbell 

14 comments:

DJan said...

Just one more month and it will all be behind you. I hope you make it, as difficult as it is getting around. It's about the same temperature here, too, but we are setting records. And our overnight low temperatures are much higher than normal so things don't cool down. Summer is not my favorite time of the year. :-)

Shady Del Knight said...

Good morning, dear Rita! I was surprised to see you up this early. That's an amazing picture you snapped of the approaching dawn. It's in the 80s up there? Here in Florida we call temps in the 80s "a brutal cold snap." :) I'm happy there is more good news about your mother. You're right. The only way to overcome weakness and fatigue is to exercise and eat. The more you do the more you feel like doing. Those are priceless pictures of Kitty Kat Karma and her new dolly.

Please have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Rita. I have a special Saturday post coming up tomorrow, the launch of a three-part series that I know you will enjoy. I hope to see you over at my place!

TexWisGirl said...

glad you had your senior housing appt so that can proceed! karma is so cute - and spoiled. :)

Intense Guy said...

Hugs.

Hugs for Karma too - she really loves that doll! So goofy! :)

Glad to hear you mom is improving even if it is so slowly. Now don't YOU over do things --

Deb J. in Utah said...

Moving is a huge job - hard work. Try to go easy on yourself. You will be so thrilled when the move is finally complete and your are in a better, nicer place. Love the pictures of Karma and the doll.

GrandmaG said...

Sticky heat is the worse! I came home from errands yesterday and had to change clothes. That doll with Karma is the sweetest. It'll be nice for Karma to have another friend in her new home. Great tip about the chalk marker. I'll definitely be using that one. Thanks!

Krisha said...

I remember that sticky, sticky weather....and not with a smile either!! Of course it is going to be 107 here today and I just came in from the patio and there are clouds in the sky.......guess there is going to be a little of that sticky stuff here today
Love the early morning sky....so pretty.
My dog used to do the same thing when I changed up her treats..........stay strong Rita.....LOL

Janie Junebug said...

How dare you offend Karma? 84 sounds cool. My grandparents in North Dakota didn't have AC. We never spend much time there, and it wasn't because of the lack of AC. Do you have to hire carpet cleaners or can Dagan rent one and clean the carpets himself? Is that too much to ask? The thing is if you use the carpet cleaner yourself and you put a little Cheer detergent in with the cleaning solution, the carpets will smell heavenly. Wish I could be there to help.

Love,
Janie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hate sticky heat, but I get it all the time. 84 actually sounds cool, since we have topped 100 F for nearly a week. That has been our nighttime lows (low 80s). But like you, I get hot if it gets over 70 F.

Glad to read about your mom. Sorry you will miss Ian's b'day, but there will be pics and videos, I'm sure.

Rest today and get strong for Sunday, dear friend. Glad you got the paperwork filled out and one more thing ticked off your to do list.

Fallingladies said...

Moving is always so hard, and so much harder as we get older, i agree!

AliceKay said...

I'm happy to hear your mom is improving. I'm sure having your brother and other family members going down to see her will give her an added boost of energy. Hoping everything goes well.

Looks like you're making a good deal of headway in cleaning and purging. You know your limitations, and it seems you work within those limitations as best you can. Our bodies don't always do what we'd like them to do, but knowing where to draw the line is a good start. Hoping the move goes well when the time comes.

Karma is a comical cat, and I enjoy reading about her and seeing pictures of her. I know she's good company for you. :)

It's been on the warm side here lately, but today has been colder and it has rained all day. The furnace has run a couple of times this afternoon and tonight, too. I needed to take the chill off so turned it up a little. We ran air conditioners and fans yesterday. What a change tonight.

From what I saw on The Weather Channel earlier tonight, the Fargo area was due for some more bad weather tonight. I hope you're all safe and sound out there.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope it wasn't too warm in that garage today! Poor Miss Karma being a fussy eater...LOL! Sounds like you are making progress and soon you will have nothing left to purge or organize and you will have to wait to move!! :)

Serena Lewis said...

Yes, I remember how the air-con plays up all the time. Hopefully, you will cope until it's time to move.

Yes, we have to organise for carpets to be professionally cleaned when we leave a rental. We also have to get professional flea treatments done if pets were on the premises.

Oh my gosh, could Karma be any cuter with that doll?! :)

Poor thing just doesn't like beef any more....we have our particular tastes too. hehe Sometimes, Jack will give me the evil glare if I put something in his bowl that he was not expecting. lol

Sorry you're all aches and pains. I know that feeling very well.

It will all have been worth it once you are settled in your new home. xo

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Karma cracks me up with the doll and using the little plastic hands as scratchers and legs as pillows. Such a clever cat!