Friday, May 12, 2017

Friday-11:30am

A sure sign of spring.
Lawnmowers.
Our guys came on Monday again this year.  And the mowers for the apartment complex I see out my window came on Wednesday instead of Friday like last year.  Curious--our guys mow on our side of the sidewalk and their guys have always mowed on their side.  Maybe this is a new outfit?  I certainly don't pay enough attention to know if any of them are the same gentlemen.
They did have a maniac weed-whipper guy chopping the heck out of the edge of the grass all along the sidewalk on their side--dirt and grass flying...
 ...but they never mowed that stretch of grass?  LOL!  
Well, the dandelions love it.
I finally tried out my new breadmaker now that I can see to read the instructions--LOL!  These 2-lb loaves are huge!! 
I drug out these old Noodler's pens that frustrated the heck out of me years ago to the point I cleaned them and stashed them away.  Wanted to see why.   

I remembered.  
The blue and red ones are his first flex nibs, I believe, and because of these pens I thought I never wanted to try flex writing again.  When I'd try to press and release as I wrote--just blobs and ink still coming out too fast most of the time to even get thin lines.  
****
But...lately I have been wanting to try to learn brush lettering--which is the same concept of thick and thin.  I'm having better luck with markers and brush pens.  ;)  These Noodler's pens will probably get cleaned and stashed away again.  Like I say--life is too short.
****
Yesterday was a busy day.  I went to CCC (coffee, coloring, and conversation) here in the community room at 1:30pm.  I am bringing zendalas to work on every week and plan to for the foreseeable future.  Been such fun to play with these again!  I think I am close to done with this first one now this week.  I am really liking it in the black and white so not planning to color this one.  Will probably start a new one next week.  :)


Then I got back home just in time for the tow truck.  Leah, Ian, and her bother, Aaron, came over.  Since we had run a charger on the Paseo over night and it wouldn't even turn over we didn't know how they were going to get it out of the garage.  Aaron came with in case there was pushing or lifting help needed.
****
The guy said he had some kind of super charger and he shocked the old girl to life long enough to back her out of the garage!  She stunk and her tires were very low, but he backed her out and hooked her up.  Ian was transfixed!!  I took a little video.  Our chatterbox was a bit stunned and contemplative.  ;)

After I saw the video...there is some cat supplies in the garage and I wondered if he could see Karma's cat toys?  I'll have to look when I'm out there next time.  But he was obviously thinking about Karma.
****
They came in for a short while so Ian could play with his toys at Gramma's for a bit.  Ian has a toy garbage truck.  I told him to ask his daddy about the time we were living in Green Bay when his daddy was about 10 or 11 years old and a smoking garbage truck was trying to make it to the dump down the highway from us...but flames started shooting out the back so the garbageman quick dumped the entire burning load on the side of the road right in front of our house.  (We lived outside of town on a couple acres.)
****
Flames were shooting up, smelly plastic soot was floating everywhere, hot cans were exploding and shooting way up over the treetops.  The grass in the ditch started on fire.  We were afraid for the trees lining the highway and even the roof of our house that was set back from the road because of the rocketing red hot cans shooting off in every direction.  
****
Finally the fire truck arrived.  They parked, rolled out the huge hose, the fireman braced himself, told them to turn it on, and a small trickle of water came out the nozzle!  Despite the fear of the fire--hey!  That was hysterically funny!  So, they wound up the hose and took off to fill up with water.  They did make it back in time to drench the trees, the ditch, and that huge smelly pile of garbage.  They had to hang around for quite a while while they spread out trash and doused more flames that popped up.  Then the whole sopping mess had to be shoveled into another truck and hauled away.  
****
Was quite exciting!  I can't imagine Dagan wouldn't remember that burning garbage truck event.  I told Ian to ask Daddy about it.  I'll have to ask Dagan, myself, if he remembers.  ;)  They might be back this weekend to work on moving things around in the garage.
****
Anyways, they went home for dinner and then Leah came back later for craft night.  She surprised me with some paper she bought and a few rolls of washi tape, too!  (Already put the washi tapes away).  More Christmas and birthday card paper!!  Some other papers, too.  Sweet!  (This isn't all of them.)
We worked some more on the sewing project.  Leah's getting to the end of tracing the pad and liner patterns and now I could finally start cutting them out--tada!!  I do have to go slower than I used to because of the wonky eye, but that's fine.  I'll probably be sewing slower also.  Adaptation is a good thing.  :)
****
We stack and pile after we're done each time.  Looks chaotic, but I now have a better idea of which piles go together so I can do some cutting while I watch TV at night, too.  Nice!   
This morning...
 I got a knock on the door...beautiful Mother's Day yellow-orange roses!! 
Gorgeous!
They're already opening up!
McFamily is so good to me.  They literally reaffirm my belief in humanity and God and hope for this world.  Have a wonderful weekend and for those of you celebrating Mother's Day--good memories or make some--LOL!  Keep in mind that families are or can be created with love.
****
Life is good!!  :) :)
****
"Family isn't always blood.  It's the people in your life who want you in theirs.  The ones who accept you for who you are.  The ones who would do anything to see you smile, and who love you no matter what."
-unknown

P.S.  I have no idea why the font is weird in portions of this post.  Tried to fix it and couldn't.  Doesn't show until I post.  So, you can thank Blogger for the variety.  ;) ;)

15 comments:

GrandmaG said...

Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

Serena Lewis said...

Lovely green grass!

I hope the bread turned out well. Love the smell of bread baking.

The Noodler's pens sound a little frustrating.

I love the black and white Zendala too..quite striking.

Well, you will certainly have a lot more room in the garage now. I can imagine little Ian being transfixed by it all.

Re. the dumped burning garbage - Goodness, I would have been worried that the house may have caught fire. And then for the fire brigade to have run out of water?! It would have been hilarious in hindsight. I'm so glad they made it back before anything more disastrous happened.

It sounds like you and Leah had a nice craft night together.

Those Mother's Day roses are beautiful, Rita!

The text is different in areas because, in Post Editor, you have accidentally selected the Text Background Colour which sits beside where you choose your Text Colour. I have done this myself at times. If you catch it right away, you can simply hit the Undo button which will immediately remove the last thing you did. If you have already typed new text, Highlight, Copy, then Paste it into Notepad so you don't lose it. Then, continue hitting the Undo option in your Post Editor until it clears the background colour. You can then just Copy and Paste your text back in from Notepad or any other Plain Text Editor. I know it probably sounds confusing but it's really not.

There are other ways to clear the background colour behind the text but you would need to know HTML coding.

Love the quotes.

I hope you have a lovely Mother's Day...

Love and hugs from DownUnder xo

My name is Erika. said...

Lawn mowing is certainly exciting and a sign of the good weather coming. :) And lucky you. Those roses are gorgeous! Have a wonderful mothers day. And weekend too. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wish I had a riding mower. It would make my job a lot easier. I guess I can be thankful I use a power mower, not one of those old fashion push ones (grin).

I LOVE that zendala. It is gorgeous. I also like that it is black and white. I think color would ruin it.

LOVE that paper. I'm a paper freak, so it made my heart go pitter patter.

Thanks for your wonderful comments on my blog recently. I am sorry i haven't been around more, but life has not been kind of late.

Your roses are gorgeous and my favorite color. You are truly blessed! Happy Mother's Day.

DJan said...

I'm so glad you can see again! And that you seem to be in pretty good spirits, Rita. I like your pretty zendala. I look forward to seeing more of them once again! :-)

Anonymous said...

I love both the zendala & the roses!!

Carol said...

LOVE the Zendala!!!!! That burning garbage story was interesting and I bet has a child Dagan was fascinated! Sounds like you had a good week ♥

Jon said...

One great thing about living here in the wilderness is that I don't have to hear lawn mowers or weed-cutters - - but I desperately need a tractor (or a herd of goats) to demolish my monster weeds.
That breadmaker is a handy thing to have - - and I really love those yellow roses.

The garbage truck story was so funny, I could just picture it with the hot cans shooting in the air.

By the way, I sometimes have trouble with the font on my blog, too. It looks okay when I'm writing it but mysteriously changes size after I post it.

Divers and Sundry said...

That bread looks very tasty! The roses are stunning!

Your CCC group sounds like something I'd enjoy :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

What beautiful roses! Tell us about the ladies at CCC :)

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

The roses are beautiful! What a beautiful Mother's Day gift. Always like the smell of fresh-cut grass. It definitely is a sign of spring and summer. Your bread looks like it turned out well. Your zendala is amazing with all the detail and effort you put into it! You are so creative!!

Lady Fi said...

What gorgeous flowers! And glad no one was hurt in the garbage truck fire.

Sherry Ellis said...

Beautiful flowers! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day! I bet the baking bread smelled fantastic in your house!

Mersad said...

First of all, you have really great handwriting. :) Love the moved lawn and the yellow roses.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

AliceKay said...

Beautiful roses. You have a wonderful, caring family.